From our friends at The NPD Group:
Retailers were doling out holiday deals even before we doled out the Halloween candy. But there is still a lot of holiday shopping left to do. Consumers told NPD what they were thinking heading into this holiday shopping season, and we’re sharing the key findings with you – see attached!
Here are some report highlights…
- Consumers plan to spend an average of $740 on holiday shopping this year.
- 17% of consumers plan to start holiday shopping on Black Friday, up significantly compared to 2018
- More than 3/4 of consumers will shop online this holiday season, but more than 1/2 of purchases will be done in-store.
- 1 in 4 consumers plan to buy all their holiday gifts on sale.
- More consumers plan to buy tech and spend more. More consumers will buy home products but spend less. Fewer consumers plan to buy clothing/accessories but plan to invest and spend more.
“A roller-coaster season will lead to holiday sales growth between 2.7% and 3.2% compared to last year.” – Marshal Cohen, NPD’s Chief Industry Advisor
Visit NPD’s Holiday 2019 Insights page to see what they are saying, and follow #NPDHoliday on Twitter for more insights throughout the season.
Feel free to reach out with any additional questions, if you have specific holiday stories you are interested in exploring, or if you would like to set up time to speak with our industry experts.