John Clancy | Crestron

By Maureen Jenson
Published on: August 2, 2019

Content powered by:

I recently sat down with John Clancy, VP Residential, Crestron, about his passion for and involvement in the evolution of the Pyng operating system and his vision for Crestron Home powered by OS3.

Maureen Jenson: John, it’s been a few years now since you joined Crestron and you’ve been a driving force in the evolution of the Pyng OS system. Where are we today with the platform?

John Clancy: Yes, the Pyng OS system has been evolving since I came on board. Last year we launched OS 2 and this spring we unveiled a revolutionary update for the custom smart home industry, Crestron Home powered by OS 3. The incredible heritage of the Crestron brand, everything that has been created over almost 50 years, leads us to a defining moment in our history.

 

MJ: You’ve spent an enormous amount of time developing the UI/UE. Talk about that.

JC: What does user experience actually mean? It’s not just that pretty front end, it is the whole smart home solution you are delivering, from build to delivery and beyond. It’s the reliability of a solution, it’s the ease of use, it’s how aesthetically pleasing and intuitive the client interactions are, it’s the lifestyle journey you take them on.

A simpler, smarter, more intuitive interface delivers complete control and a stunning experience. Nobody in the industry delivers a UI like the one we have developed for OS 3. Meaning customers are getting more value, and they have more control of their experience. And that’s what they expect in a modern home with modern technology.

 

MJ: I’ve heard you talk about how integrators need to evolve their businesses. How does Crestron Home play a role in that scenario?

JC: We sit alone in offering solutions for the top 15% of integration projects where the client really wants to go outside the box and wants truly creative solutions. And we will remain the leader in that category. But addressing the other 85% of jobs is what Crestron Home is all about. And, doing those as profitably as possible. And deploying an OS that will last for years.

Consider just this one feature: with Crestron Home, the operating system automatically updates itself, just as you would expect an iPhone to do. In essence, you’re selling your customers a level of performance built for the long haul.

In its simplest form, what I’m talking to integrators about is evolving your business model to utilize all the Crestron solutions on offer, going completely custom when needed, but using Crestron Home on the projects that it works for. More jobs, less time, more profit along with a great experience for your customers.

 

 

Maureen Jenson

Maureen Jenson

Maureen is editor-in-chief for the Technology Insider Group. She has been the editor-in-chief of Audio Video Interiors, Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, Home Theater, Technology Integrator, E-Gear and CEDIA’s Electronic Lifestyles Magazines. She is a CEDIA Fellow and IPRO Lifetime Achievement Award honoree.

Pin It on Pinterest