I try to find a word of the year to guide me in the right direction- to help me focus on the doing. The word of the year can be very powerful. I keep it front of mind by putting it on my vision board, in my planner and other places so I see it daily. Words I have used in the past include: peace, listen, focus, success, prosperity. The word I chose this year is: Engage.
For me engage is a great word for what I want more of in my life. I want to engage in great conversations, relationships, and business ventures. To be engaged I need to focus on what’s in front of me and truly be present. I love this for 2018!
As I grow my own D&I consulting & coaching business, I want to engage in delivering for my clients. I want all companies to engage with their employees to build more inclusive organizations. Engagement also means finding happiness and peace because I am much more present.
Do you want help to choose your word for the year? Start with a quiet space where you can let your mind wander.
Grab a notepad and jot down what words come to mind as you ask yourself these questions.
What would I like to add into my life this year?
What do I want to leave behind?
How do I want to show up?
How do I want to feel every day?
- Look at your list and think about where you want to be on December 31st, 2018. Visualize how that might look and feel and taste and smell. Sit in that feeling for a few minutes.
- Make a list of the words that come to mind as you think about those feelings that you visualized for December 31st. Write everything down that comes to mind, even if it feels silly. This is a brainstorm so there is no wrong answer.
- Take a minute to review the list and circle the 2-3 words that pop out for you on this list you made. Which words would make the most difference in your life this year
- Narrow it down to the one word that feels right. If you are truly committed to this word, it fits. I promise.
- Keep your word front of mine by creating a vision board or post-it note or whatever visual would help.
I hope having your Word of the Year will help you the way it has helped me. Let me know what word you chose in the comments. I would love to see what you chose.