We take our title from the use of Sierra Nevada Celebration ale and the classic “cuisine of the occupied”, the Tourtière. As there is no traditional recipe for this particular Shepard’s meat pie, you also are unbound in your personal interpretation of this dish.
For the dough:
2 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill All-purpose flour
½ tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp Curry powder
½ tsp Garam Masala
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
8 oz Butter, unsalted
3 ½ tbsp. Ice water
Make the dough by hand. Dice the butter and put into freezer for 25 minutes. Sift dry ingredients into large mixing bowl. Add chilled butter and work with hands (google ‘how to make pastry dough by hand’ to see how to squeeze the dough between your fingers) until the dough begins to form into loose pebbles. Add ice water. Continue to work dough until it forms into small pebbles. Pack together without overworking the dough and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate for 2 – 4 hours, turning over once.
For the filling:
1 lb Pork chop
1 lb Chicken breast (skinless)
2 Yukon potatoes (small) (roughly chopped)
2 Carrots (medium) (½” slices)
½ Red onion (medium) (roughly chopped)
½ cup Peas (frozen peas are perfect)
12 oz Cremini mushrooms
12 oz Sierra Nevada Celebration Fresh Hop IPA
¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour
1 tsp Red curry powder
½ tsp Cayenne pepper
½ tsp Garam Marsala
½ tsp Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pat the meat dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper liberally. In a cast iron skillet pan-roast the chicken to 185°F internal temp, then the pork chop to 160°F, then the vegetables for 20 minutes.
- When the meat has cooled, shred.
- Chop mushrooms and sauté in 1 tbsp of butter for 4 minutes over high heat.
- Pour beer into bowl and thoroughly whisk in corn starch. Combine all the ingredients together in large mixing bowl, mix and refrigerate for one hour, stirring once or twice.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Build pie dough base in cast iron skillet (do not overwork the dough). Ladle mixture into skillet. Add top dough layer, brush with egg wash, cut a few slits into dough for steam to escape and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temp to 375°F and bake for another 35 to 45 minutes or until dough is nice and golden brown. Place on rack for 20 minutes, then serve with a glass of Sierra Nevada Celebration Fresh Hop IPA.