This is a simple salad with an incredible Pea and Pecorino Citrus Dressing. You can source most of the ingredients year-round, and there are plenty of substitutes and add-ons you can experiment with – think about adding some tangerine slices or dried bing cherries.
1 ½ cups Snow peas (shelled)
1 ½ cups Fava Beans
2 cups Arugula (stems removed)
1 cup Pancetta (cubed into lardoons) (bacon can be used as a substitute)
½ cup Pecorino (grated)
½ cup Parmesan (grated)
2 cloves Garlic
1 tbsp Shallot (minced)
1 Juice from lemon
¼ cup Olive Oil (best quality available)
¼ cup Pine nuts
- Cook pancetta until just done. Remove to paper towel to cool. Add 1 minced clove of garlic and shallot to fat and cook for 2 minutes. Strain from fat and set on paper towel to cool.
- Flash boil (large pot of boiling, roiling water) for 30 seconds, the peas and fava beans. Immediately immerse in ice water bath – chill for 1 minute. Remove, pat dry with paper towels, and place in a non-reactive bowl. Add the juice of one lemon and toss. Strain (retain lemon juice).
- Combine pine nuts, arugula, 1 cup of peas, fava beans, pancetta, cooked garlic and shallot. Chill for 15 minutes in refrigerator.
- Make the dressing: Combine ½ cup peas, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic (loosely chopped), pinch of salt and ½ tsp of ground black pepper, and cheeses in a blender. Pulse until pasty. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while pureeing until dressing emulsifies. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Toss salad and dressing immediately before plating. Serve on chilled plates. Sprinkle with a little bit of grated pecorino.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes