This sweet potato casserole is obviously a Thanksgiving Day classic, but any time of the year is the right time for some yummoliciousness. The secret is the Dandies air-puffed marshmallows. They’re the best.
4 lbs Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup Golden brown sugar (packed)
¼ cup Wild Maine blueberry syrup
5 tbsp Butter (unsalted)
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Salt (good quality finishing salt)
½ tsp Ground nutmeg
½ tsp Fresh, finely chopped ginger
½ cup Chopped, roasted almonds
10 oz Dandies air-puffed marshmallows (classic vanilla flavor) – chopped into ½ inch bits
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Put sweet potato pieces in large bowl.
- Melt butter in sauce pan and whisk in sugar, until sugar is dissolved. Add blueberry syrup, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger and simmer for 3 minutes. Add mixture to potatoes and stir, making sure to thoroughly coat potato pieces. Transfer mixture to greased casserole dish. Either use glass lid or tin foil to cover casserole. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Uncover, fold in ground almonds and bake an additional 20 minutes (or until potatoes are soft), lightly stirring one time to ensure potato pieces don’t dry out. Remove casserole dish from oven.
- Increase temperature to 450 F. Spread out marshmallow bits over top of mixture. Return casserole dish to oven and bake an additional 4-5 minutes, or until marshmallows are browning on top. (Marshmallows will expand as they heat up, then shrink and melt – this is normal. Don’t overcook them or they will dry out.)
- Serve warm. DO NOT BURN YOUR MOUTH WHEN TASTE TESTING.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 75 minutes
Serves 8 – 10