I love peanut butter and chocolate together – think Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Every Halloween we buy different bags of candy to hand out, but on the big night, for some reason there are never any Reese’s to hand out. This is my go-to chocolate-peanut butter fix. Your dinner guests will never forget to send a birthday present! This particular recipe took me four or five tries to get it just right. Moist so the cake melts on the tongue, yet sturdy enough to hold the multiple glazes. Big yum!
4 oz Butter, unsalted, softened
1 cup Sugar, refined white
½ cup Sugar, brown, packed
2 eggs Room temperature
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill All-purpose flour
¾ cup Cocoa powder, Ghirardelli
1 ½ tsp Baking soda
¼ tsp Nutmeg, fresh ground
½ tsp Cinnamon, fresh ground
½ tsp Salt, finishing
¾ cup Milk
¾ cup Coffee, espresso
- Preheat oven to 360°
- Grease two 9 inch pie pans.
- Cream butter and sugars in mixer about 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt – sift thoroughly. Add in to mixer in portions, alternating with milk & coffee, ending with dry ingredients.
- Divide evenly among pie pans.
- Bake 20 – 22 minutes. Toothpick should come out dry.
- Remove cakes to rack and rest to room temperature.
Peanut Butter Frosting
2 tbsp Butter, unsalted, softened
8 oz Peanut Butter, smooth, organic – no sugar-added
1 ½ cups Sugar, confectioners, sifted
1 cup Cream, heavy
- Cream and whip butter, peanut butter, sugar and cream. Chill for 10 minutes.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
½ cup Cream, heavy
5 oz Chocolate, Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
¼ cup Sugar, confectioners, sifted
- Bring cream to boil. Remove from heat and add chocolate and sugar, stirring once.
- Let mixture sit for 5 minutes and then stir until smooth and thick (re-heat and re-stir if mixture appears to liquefy).
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before using.
Assemble Cake Diablo
- Cover top of one cake with one-third of peanut butter frosting. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Layer on second cake. Cover top and sides with remaining peanut butter frosting. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Cover entire cake with chocolate Ganache and chill for 10 minutes.