These are the perfect cookies for the chocolate lover. It’s the most chocolaty cookie ever and nice and soft in the middle, kind of like a brownie.
1.5 cups pecans or walnuts or a mix of both
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
4 large eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1.5 tsp instant espresso powder
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (buy the best chocolate you can afford)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange the pecans or walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven (turn the oven off, too) and coarsely chop.
- Fill a medium saucepan with several inches of water. Place over medium-high heat, heat until simmering, and then reduce the heat to low so the water just barely simmers. Place the semisweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate, and butter in a double boiler or heatproof bowl that fits over the saucepan. Set over the barely simmering water and heat, stirring occasionally, just until melted. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. (I prefer sifting the dry ingredients together because baking powder has a tendency to clump and a whisk isn’t effective at breaking up the tiny clumps.)
- Place the eggs and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat at medium-high speed until thick and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer on medium-low speed, slowly pour in the cooled chocolate-butter mixture, beating until combined. Add the espresso powder and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Then mix in the chocolate chips and nuts. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill the dough for a least an hour.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between the cookies. Bake for 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheets from the top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking. (The cookies will be shiny around the outside but soft in the center.) Let cool in the baking sheet for a minute before moving to a wire rack to cool completely (they’ll firm up as they cool.)
- Repeat with remaining dough, cooling the sheets completely between batches.